Thursday, April 16, 2009

Josh Fields finds a home in second spot

Chicago White Sox like his patience at plate

In the midst of the White Sox's search for a productive leadoff hitter, they have discovered an effective No. 2 hitter.

That's Josh Fields, who has thrived in the second spot since Chris Getz was elevated to bat leadoff after Dewayne Wise struggled at the top of the batting order.

"The biggest thing I can rest my hat on was that I was there in 2007 for nearly the entire time I was up," said Fields, who hit 14 of his 23 home runs that season from the second spot. "I've been there before and had success there. [I'll] just keep playing and do what I can do to help the team win."

Manager Ozzie Guillen has been extremely pleased with Fields' pitch selection, as evidenced by his five walks, .308 batting average and .438 on-base percentage.

"He's the type of guy who's not going to chase bad pitches. That's why it's ideal for him there," Guillen said.

In the eighth, the Tigers' Ryan Perry threw five pitches that nearly hit three batters — Alexei Ramirez, Brent Lillibridge and Fields. After the fifth one, Fields glared at Perry.

"We knew he would be throwing it all over the place," Fields said. "He kind of smirked at me after a couple, and I didn't think that was the right thing to do."

Read Full Stoty

Related Posts by Categories



Buy MLB Merchandise at our online MLB Shop DieHardFans.com

0 comments: